Thursday, December 23, 2010

In Student T.D.'s Own Words: Awareness

This experience is not about change, rather self-awareness. While overall change is the result, it's not what they do. The Instructors and Therapists do not try and change you, and they do encourage you to become more aware of what is already there. They allow you to see the reasoning behind why you do things, and why you feel the way you do.
For me, I was able to become aware of my negative coping which is to stuff things down and suppress emotions till it built up and I exploded. I became aware of this with the help of my Expedition Team. I used their resources to shift my behavior and resolve my emotional conflicts as they arise. While this hurts now and I really do not want to have pain, it's significantly better to resolve them now an improve the quality of my life. Another awareness I am learning about  is Choice Theory as well as flawed logic. That's what I'll tell you more about on my next Expedition Therapy blog entry. "Peace out." by T.D.

1 comment:

  1. So awesome! It is true what you say! You are not alone when you say you hold in pain until you explode! Many of us do this. You brought me to tears knowing you are learning to change how you react to things that bother you. I myself have had to learn this and still am! So insightful. As a child I was taught not to say anything that was bothering me because of other's feelings so I would just hold everything in and explode at the smallest things. My brother was the same way. I think over many years of experience we have learned to change that habit. You are truly learning something in a unique way. Great job! I think learning this at a young age will help you tons in the future! I am so proud of you!

    Your Cousin Jen

    ReplyDelete